TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Dos - 2004-11-17

Beatrix,

I haven't ventured into state schools here, but private schools can vary enourmously. My first school in China was not legal, a fact I didn't know for about 6 months, until someone told me. Actually, they did get me a Z-class (work) visa even so, (contacts). It wasn't a bad place, but it didn't allow for any deviation from the very Chinese teaching style. It wasn't all that bad, but there were no resources other than what I brought to the place. Photocopy something??? Go across the road to the little shop and pay for yourself! (I sometimes did this). Basic classrooms (boiling in summer, freezing in winter).
The kids were good though, and the boss treated me okay. Even so, I left (cordially) after six months.
My next school was legal, but not much better. The environment was okay, but they worked you hard and I did my full 24hours teaching a week, every week. No extra holidays, just national ones, classes had one 10minute break (two hour classes). The pay was better but the bosses were a bit erratic in their behaviour. I was okay, but I kept on their good side, they could get nasty with you if you fell out with them. VERY limited computer resources, same photocopyier technique (shop across the road again) and begging for a whiteboard marker ("What, another? But We gave you one last week!!") Class sizes up to 25 and some flexibility on teaching style. I did my year there and left.
Now I am at a school which is much more upmarket. It has photocopier, laser printer, computers, CARPETS, and a very good Chinese boss. Pay is good and hours, whilst technically 24 teaching hours/week, rarely come to 20 in off peak, I work less than this as head teacher! Whiteboard markers on demand and classes of no more than 18.

I have spoken with friends who work in universities and private schools here. The stories are much the same as my second school. Limited resources, but otherwise fairly ok. Some are legal, some are not.

One thing that is common to all Chinese schools (and most Chinese people and things) is a total lack of ability to PLAN AHEAD!!! Teachers are constantly asked to do things at the drop of a hat. (I have pretty much trained my school to stop doing this, but it still happens sometimes). If you aren't good at improvising, then I would advise against coming here!

Er, what was the question again? ;)

Messages In This Thread
What are the working conditions in Chinese schools like? -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-17
Chinese working conditions -- Dave -- 2004-11-17
teaching in china -- BillJacot -- 2004-11-18
more questions. -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-18
Again it varies -- Dos -- 2004-11-18
Varies -- Dos -- 2004-11-17

Go to another board -