TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Vaughan System/Spain
Rebecca Roch - 2004-11-17
In response to Vaughan system (Spain) (Chanmar)

Hi

I worked for Vaughan Systems in Madrid for a year from 1999 to the end of summer 2000.
That was when the peseta was still alive and kicking and pay per hour for teaching english was very good, then around 3000ptas per hour guaranteed, even if the student cancelled.
I received about 2 weeks training at the offices in Madrid which were then based, if I remember correctly, in C/Nuria de Virgin.
We were assigned clients who had contracts with Vaughan Systems and we were given literature and access to learning materials for our classes.
Clients included Ericsson, Pfizer, Caixa and other similar companies. I had to travel around the city from office to office of each client teaching from as many as 1 student to a class of 7 or 8 and from 1 to 2 hour sessions. It was hard work but very rewarding and I made some great friends. There were also opportunities to teach weekend intensive courses which were mostly taught in a hotel in the mountains somewhere. I never did this for Vaughan Systems but for another company. It's very hard work as you are expected to be with the students continuously from breakfast until the evening, but again the pay was worth it.
I left the company after about 10 months (August there is no work) to travel and freelance and then return to the Uk. It was a fun experience and one I would highly recommend. There are lots of similar companies out there like Vaughan systems - but probably more professional in their employee care, especially in terms of taking care of taxation and other legal matters. They did not help us to find places to live which for non Spanish speakers I imagined was quite hard. They were keen to employ native speakers although there was not much way of support for those who needed it.
Hope this is of some help.

Rebecca

Messages In This Thread
Vaughan system (Spain) -- Chanmar -- 2004-08-04
Vaughan System/Spain -- Rebecca Roch -- 2004-11-17
Stay away from Spain -- esl in asia -- 2004-11-19
Re: Stay away from Spain -- San Migs -- 2011-12-15
Re: Stay away from Spain -- juanisaac -- 2011-12-19
Re: Stay away from Spain -- Tom -- 2011-12-15
Re: Stay away from Spain -- San Migs -- 2011-12-15
Re: Stay away from Spain -- HappyinSpain -- 2011-12-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Vaughan System/Spain