TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CELTA abroad questions
Miles - 2008-08-07

I'm looking for some professional advice here regarding a CELTA. Just as a little background on myself, I'm an American with two majors in political science and history, I'm very well travelled, and I have a deep appreciation of European cultures and languages. Recently, I've begun the application process for training in order to receive a CELTA. Preferably, I would like to take a CELTA course in Germany, and shortly afterwards, begin a job search there should everything succeed.

However, for those of you who have experience with CELTA/TEFL/TESOL, I do need some advice. Due to the various financial and personal costs it takes to be trained and to receive one of these certificates, would it be advisable to be trained abroad? Or would it be better to be trained in your home country? I know it sounds like a loaded question, but from your personal experiences, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have another question, and again a fairly loaded one. For those of you who did receive a CELTA or another certificate, how long did it take to find a job? If you received your certificate abroad, did you stay abroad until you found a job? Or did you return to your home country, and then find a job later? I know it's fairly easy for British or Irish students to return home after receiving their certificates. However, I'm from California, and travel costs to and fro from Europe can be quite costly from this end of the world.

Messages In This Thread
CELTA abroad questions -- Miles -- 2008-08-07
Re: CELTA abroad questions -- Jrgen -- 2008-08-09
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › CELTA abroad questions

Go to another board -