TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Good one Dave.
Wil Pascoe - 2004-12-05
In response to Chinese working conditions (Dave)

Hi Dave,
I just read your post - how refreshing to read something so positive. I've just about given up reading teachers forum posts because so many are just b##ch and grumble sessions.I can understrand some of it - even though I love Chna and love my life here I freely admit it can be a frustrating place.Probably the biggest problem is that people are not prepared before they leave home.There are no courses that teach you about foreign manners, cultural difference,and culture shock that can adequately prepare you for life in a new country(ask anyone who has immigrated to UK,US,or Australia).But so many people come here thinking it's going to be just like home,but with more rice and more people.
I've been in China almost 1 1/2 years and have taught at a variety of schools,both government and private. Most of my time has been at a prestigious government boarding/day school teaching Senior Grade 2.I have 25 classes each week and 1700 students from a total enrollment of almost 7000. I enjoy a good relationship with the Chinese English teachers and count a few as very good friends.Like any other place that's different,China requires a positive attitude,patience,love for the students,and a willingness to immerse oneself in the local culture.Smile and enjoy the experience.
Thanks again for the positive post Dave.

Messages In This Thread
What are the working conditions in Chinese schools like? -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-17
Chinese working conditions -- Dave -- 2004-11-17
teaching in china -- BillJacot -- 2004-11-18
more questions. -- Beatrix -- 2004-11-18
Again it varies -- Dos -- 2004-11-18
Varies -- Dos -- 2004-11-17
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Good one Dave.

Go to another board -