TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TOO MANY problems ... n'est-e pas mon chr?
The Arrogant One - 2004-12-28
In response to unfortunately... (discouraged)

Dear Mr. Discouraged,

I couldn't agree more with your recognition of the barriers involved in efficiently hiring ESL instructors from abroad. Unfortunately, however, you seem to have omitted a method to take you closer to your goal, i.e., YOUR personally traveling to the USA, Canada, UK, or anyplace you desire to conduct personal interviews and or auditions in the form of sample lessons! YES, it does cost money to follow out such a strategy, albeit you can view it as a necessary investment. Incidentally, I can recall having been hired for two of the three positions I held in Japan via this method. It was sure-shot, efficient, and the school owner wound up with no surprises, as his choices were predicated upon personally knowing whom he was hiring instead of relying solely upon paperwork (diplomas, etc.) which, as you say, could have been purchased through devious means.

Now, with the above in mind, you may not have to repeat such a journey yearly, but rely upon the recommendations of your personally recruited employees for any necessary additions or replacements to your staff.

The biggest step now follows, my friend. Once having personally built your own fortress of ESL expertise, it is now important to RETAIN such treasured personnel. This is most assuredly where the question of REMUNERATION enters stage. Hiring one of your recruits at a salary somewhat higher than that of your competition will go a long way in guaranteeing you the much-needed elements of loyalty and consistency on the part of your teaching staff. To put it in a nutshell, practically all native English-speakers come from a CAPITALISTIC background. Ergo, in the modern working world - here in the USA for example - a hard-working, contributing, and loyal employee will usually anticipate regular periodic raises throughout his/her career with a company or school. Assuming the school is in a position to oblige, it is no crime for a teacher to expect a gesture of the owner's recognition of his/her contributions made over a certain period of time - usually made in the form of a salary increase.

Granted, dear employer, instructors who migrate to the PRC to teach English will have to make certain adjustments in their lifestyles to comply with existing cultural differences. By the same token, it would be quite unfair to ask that same cooperative individual to abandon his/her traditional key to economic success in the workplace ... a decent starting income enhanced by periodic incentives.

Just a thought, sir. Thank you for your time.

With much respect and wishes for your success in the New Year,

The Arrogant One

recognition through consistent and productive effort

Messages In This Thread
Bad English = low wages? -- discouraged -- 2004-12-27
True.... -- Sis -- 2004-12-27
shockingly -- disturbed -- 2004-12-27
Small mistake there -- Observe This -- 2004-12-28
By the way... -- Observe This -- 2004-12-27
to all concerned ; Native speakers -- jack -- 2004-12-27
native English -- da yan jing -- 2004-12-28
Native speakers -- jack -- 2004-12-28
Going Native -- Portici -- 2005-01-13
unfortunately... -- discouraged -- 2004-12-27
TOO MANY problems ... n'est-e pas mon chr? -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-12-28
not quite sir... -- disturbed -- 2004-12-28
Just a wee bit deeper, Mr. Disturbed! -- The Arrogant One -- 2004-12-29
well..... -- esl in asia -- 2004-12-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › TOO MANY problems ... n'est-e pas mon chr?

Go to another board -