TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EF Fuzhou
JinChenYang - 2008-09-06

The poster Silverboy, as you will note by spending a few minutes in the archives, commonly uses sweeping generalities. This is a strategy often employed by those who cannot frame a valid argument due to the limitations imposed on them by their lack of insight. However, in this particular case, the suggestion that very few Chinese English teachers are competent goes beyond a mere absence of insight. Instead, as is often the case with this poster, it suggests a deep seeded awareness of his own incompetence which he hopes to offset by casting dispersions on others - again, an oft employed strategy that removes any hint of believability in the worth of the speaker or writer.

Silverboy's argument would go something like this:

Of the Chinese English teachers I've seen, few are competent.
Therefore, few Chinese English teachers are competent.

Try this one, my logic challenged friend.

My Chinese colleagues report that most Foreign English teacher's they've encountered demonstrate inappropriate behavior in the classroom and know little about their own language or how to teach it.
Therefore, I must conclude that few Foreign English teachers demonstrate appropriate behavior in the classroom and know little about their own language or how to teach it.

Wake up and enjoy the fragrance of the tea.

Messages In This Thread
Re: EF Fuzhou -- JinChenYang -- 2008-09-06
Re: EF Fuzhou -- callmefred -- 2008-09-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EF Fuzhou

Go to another board -