TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion
Jacob - 2008-09-13

As is the case with many franchised businesses, especially those who have poor support systems and accountability, EF has lost its respectability in the eyes of the ESL/EFL community. It's not slanderous to say so - it's an unfortunate but simple truth. Nevertheless, Kevin's suggestion that one should opine only about schools they are specifically familiar with is a good one. The other side of that coin, though, is that EF is perhaps growing too quickly and losing their reputation by apparently not screening more thoroughly those who wish to buy into the franchise.

English First needs to get a handle on this. I'm surprised that they've let it get this far out of hand. There are reasons I personally wouldn't work at EF. I contacted their headquarters in New York more then five years ago about a position teaching abroad and didn't find their offer all that appealing. Maybe things have changed, but at that time they expected a 40 hour work week out of their teaching staff. In my opinion that's over the top. Generally, it is agreed on by those in the ESL/EFL community that 25 teaching periods is about maximum. Beyond that, aside from burn out, the effectiveness of the teacher must be brought into question. What EF offered for that 40 hour work week didn't come close to what one should expect from such a position. They also seem a little too eager to promise career development and more lucrative positions for those who hang in there for a few years under what I would consider trying circumstances. This is a ploy often used by companies who know that their offer is not fair and are fairly certain that most teachers won't last beyond one contract period.

I will say, though, that their corporate headquarters seems to be handled professionally and courteously, so, again, I'm surprised they've let this situation get so far out of hand. Guess they're just pulling in way too much cash right now to care. Capitalism - gotta love it, and let's not forget what Dick Cavett so wisely stated:

"As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."

Hats off to Kevin, though, the English teaching scene in China is as diverse as the country itself. Now you can add the acquiring of visas into the mix. Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing - this is a classic example.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion -- kevin -- 2008-09-13
Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion -- englishgibson -- 2009-11-23
Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion -- englishgibson -- 2009-12-10
Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion -- Jacob -- 2008-09-13
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Warning: EF English First in China - ESL discussion

Go to another board -