TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Work in Seoul for cheaper or a satellite for a bit more?
AWS - 2008-09-24

So, I have two offers at hagwons in the Seoul area. They are different branches of the same company, but one is in a nice, central area of Seoul, and the other is in a satellite city about an hour away from Seoul by train. They have the same benefits, same vacation time, same everything except for the salary. Downtown Seoul branch (sorry for being ambiguous, just being cautious, suffice to say I've done enough research on the company to know that I will most likely be fine with the working conditions at either school) offered me 2.15 m a month, Satellite branch offered 2.3. Reason given, apartments in the downtown seoul area are more expensive.

So, all things being equal but the salary (and the apartment size...but I'm in a shoe box apartment in Japan now and don't mind it all), what would you do? Would ~150 USD a month be a big difference in Korea? I would prefer to take the Seoul offer, but I don't want to be living on noodles. Is the cost of living widely different from Seoul proper and the Satellite cities?

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Work in Seoul for cheaper or a satellite for a bit more?

Go to another board -