TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful
Foxy - 2008-10-01

I fear you'll be waiting forever.I say so because I recall that a leading American academic teaching in the PRC has done some research into how FT's teaching in China feel about themselves.He reckons they have inferiority complexes because of the low salaries they are on compared to Western ones.So they'll tell lies about why they're so far from their roots such as that their aim is to do business,and teaching here is just a stopgap.They're so insecure that they distrust other foreigners they come across,regarding them as fellow losers.Many are also boastful.I don't think this always applies,but there are enough FT's here with attitudes like that to prevent solidarity when it's needed most.
I also recall a BBC investigation into the British who work overseas.Seemingly,they backstab each other at every opportunity.Now that investigation was concerned with Brits employed in diverse fields abroad,not just as foreign teachers in China.No reasons for this were given.
But it's a risky thing to generalise - there are always exceptions.I regard myself as one.

Messages In This Thread
Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful -- Foxy -- 2008-10-01
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: EF Schools in Jinan: Be careful

Go to another board -