TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: teaching at Omeida in Yanhshuo - Teachers Discussion
kapatalizm - 2008-10-27

So, let me get this straight. If you had it your way, all training centers would just disappear? You would prefer then that competition, which, someone should remind you, ultimately leads to excellence, be stifled? Moreover, you would suggest that students, some of whom recognize they're not getting what they need in the public sector, and some of whom have never or will never have the opportunity to go to a public or private college, shouldn't have the opportunity to learn English at a private training center?

You've seen and heard of some bad training centers. I'll even add that I've seen and heard of some bad ones. Therefore, by your logic, since there is evidence that some are bad it only follows that all are bad.

Training centers should definitely be scrutinized. Perhaps it is the responsibility of the government to warn its citizens about the sad fact that some of them are worthless and that some of them are downright cheaters. Perhaps it is also the responsibility of the government to warn its citizens that many of the English "teachers" at those centers are ill qualified and not deserving of the position, and that they do not contribute to an atmosphere of excellence. Personally, I don't think government needs to be involved and that ultimately the citizenry will become more sophisticated in terms of their ability to choose a school either for themselves or their children.

However, no matter what your position is regarding the role of government, you should avoid, as seems to be your want - as noted in this and other of your posts, your urge to generalize and over simplify. Imagine yourself actually having this conversation with someone whose opinion runs counter to your own. Then imagine how well your argument would succeed. I'm sure you're pretty good in that venue. No need to figure out where all those pesky commas need to be placed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: teaching at Omeida in Yanhshuo - Teachers Discussion -- Siverboy -- 2008-10-25
Re: teaching at Omeida in Yanhshuo - Teachers Discussion -- kapatalizm -- 2008-10-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: teaching at Omeida in Yanhshuo - Teachers Discussion

Go to another board -