TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary
Raoul Duke - 2008-11-02

Turino say, "you can live well compared to the lifestyle of Westerners doing menial work in the West."
And this sentence speaks volumes. "You can live better than the guys that clean the bathrooms in office buildings." ;-{)

Cobra say, "I think they mustnt pay attention to the passport ones hold and judge foreigners by the colour of skin etc., the most important fact is teaching ability, willingness to teach, working skills. why not to pay him what he deserves?"
I hear that. I with ya 100%. But unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to be the real world. Not in China, anyway. Of course some jobs are more serious, but an awful lot of places, including some publics and unis, really just want dancing monkeys. Preferably dancing WHITE monkeys...
Those graces we think of as part of education simply aren't always valued very much here. Every owner or manager will SAY those things are valued, of course, but in reality all too often they are not.

Cobra also say, "Full time job is mostly giving lectures..."etc.
I think Turino was talking more in terms of actual workload...hours spent at labor.

I had really different college teaching experiences than you guys, it seems. I've mostly taught regular-credit Business classes, and I worked my BUTT off. Heavy prep requirement, big lecture schedule, and endless tons of grading. All for a system where very few students spoke enough English to follow the lectures at all, and the degrees could simply be bought at graduation time anyway. It gets pretty depressing after a while...

Messages In This Thread
China: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Ali -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-06
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-01
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- cobra -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-02
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-03
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- SMACK -- 2008-11-03
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Turino -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- callmefred -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- Raoul Duke -- 2008-11-04
Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary -- callmefred -- 2008-11-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Can non native speakers get an excellent english teaching position in China with high salary

Go to another board -