TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"
Li Bai - 2008-11-21

Ok folks, I will admit to an undisclosed motive for continuing this discussion. I am a public speakiing coach for Chinese students, and in recent trial runs a few judges have asked contestants what the election of Obama means to the U.S. This, to me, is a totally unfair question to ask a Chinese middle school student. After watching some of them stand there either in total bewilderment or jumping out of the plane without a 'chute, try to respond and then get caught with horrific follow-up questions, I've decided to have mine back out gracefully. I want them to respond with, "I'm sorry, but I have neither the knowledge nor the experience to discuss that right now". One young lady asked if a judge mentiones that her coach is Black then my counter would be "Yes he is, but he's Canadian." Any and all opinions welcomed.

If I were the contestant, I'd ask, "What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?", but that may be a little confrontational. I'm trying to train them to NOT argue with a judge. I can catch his or her ass outside later. As I said all comments and opinions welcomed.

And yes, I know that "Bai" means white and that's why it's such a fun name to have. Plus, as the good old sport loved to drink, my biggest problem is trying to avoid that oh so deadly bijiou. Not being young anymore, the next THREE days are not kind. Whatchya think?

And someday, I think I'll ask a serious question in this forum.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans" -- Li Bai -- 2008-11-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "Canadian Racism toward Americans"

Go to another board -