TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Part 2: Dealing with culture clash in the workplace, China/Asia
Michael - 2008-12-10

Hay guys thanks for your reply. Your advice has been very useful and made me feel a lot better. Im actually at a Private High school and it seems to be very good (however I have only been here for 7 weeks now and wouldnt know for sure). The English program is very new to the school. It started less than a year ago.
I love the students and the school but its like you can never do anything right here. The school and the company know I have only been here for 7 weeks and have no teaching experience. Granted I have 2 university degrees in environmental science and people consider me smart. However I am filling the shoes of a very successful and popular teacher and Im still adjusting to the culture.
It also feels like you have to watch your back all the time because even people who seem like friends can be enemies. I have had minor complaints or things i have said in the office come back to my via the boss. I love the culture and the people in china but the way they do business and the hierarchies in the workplace seem so snaky and deceptive. Its like ya on your toes all the time. Maybe its just the place I am working in.

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Part 2: Dealing with culture clash in the workplace, China/Asia

Go to another board -