TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Not surprised anymore - 2008-12-15

I personally don't have a problem with teachers dating "adult" students. The people who are quacking on here about how it's wrong have watched too much tv, and are trying to sound more professional by downing your relationship Silverboy. The truth is if both of you are adults, doesn't matter whether they are your student or not.

The Onus on teachers dating students comes in part from the "illegal" practice of teachers sleeping with and taking advantage of underage students. The rest is from muuch older teachers dating students, calling into question any pressure they might have used as that persons teacher. We can not forget the stigma attached to older people dating much younger people to begin with, even if they are both adults, since people tend to see this as an inequal partnership. All these things combined are where the onus comes from.

Now, is it right or wrong to date "your" students? Depends I think, is it 100% percent consentual, or was there some quid pro quo, i.e. you using your position to extort this persons interest and favors? If so that is wrong. However, if your simply two people who like each other, and your both adults, that's different. Just because two people are dating doesn't mean you will lack objectivity and give them a better grade either.

Basically too many morons on this board, and elsewhere, view everything in terms of black and white, they don't see the "gray", or look at the individual situation, they simply cast a shadow upon someone elses actions simply to make thgemselves feel superior. In truth, you have to look at the situation itself, not cast a general pall over it.

Anyhow, if your both adults and like each other, more power to you. People meet in the darndest of places, supermarkets, on the street, bars, and most often at school or at work, those last two just happen to combine to be the same here. Don't judge lest yea be judged folks, and from where I am sitting there's way too many judges here, and that's sad I think.

Messages In This Thread
Re: TAs -- Not surprised anymore -- 2008-12-15

Go to another board -