TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "The call of nature": Praise of a certain place
Li Bai - 2008-12-23

Ah, yes. That place we go to to make our kingly and queenly decisions affecting the lives of our students. In retrospect, I suppose you could say you've "got it made" when your students, understanding the urgency and need for your comfort, give the gift of a heating pad to make the experience that much more enjoyable. I don't care how bad the English is - that kid gets a high mark.

Reminds of a time in Japan when the wife of a cop asked me to explain to her husband that he should sit on the thing with both feet on the floor, not on the seat. I imagine there are more stories out there that may be as amusing.

But ya just gotta feel some empathy for your western female counter parts facing that daunting challenge of a "hole in the floor".

And speaking of the reason why we go there - that "white gasoline (petrol)" that these people are so fond of. By the third one, they go down easy but be aware that every transgression you have ever made will be called in the next morning. Sort of gives a new meaning to the concept of reincarnation.

And how many times have we told the biggest lie to the only one who doesn't believe us - ourselves - when we say, "I'll never do that again"?

But, with the name of "Li Bai", what choice do I have? For those of you who don't know, poetry and drinking were his two claims to fame.

Merry Christmas to all

Li Bai

Messages In This Thread
Re: "The call of nature": Praise of a certain place -- Li Bai -- 2008-12-23
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "The call of nature": Praise of a certain place

Go to another board -