TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school?
Not surprised anymore - 2009-01-14

I have spoken with this school again. Apparently they will not, of course, give one inch. No phone, no internet unless I pay.

As for the phone, yes you pay a fee per minute, everyone knows this. However, the long distance calls are a different per minute cost, and are indeed seperated form the local ones. Also, if I spent 10,000 minutes a month on the phone, even locally, I would not expect them to pay all that. I would expect a certain amount though,at least a couple hundred a month for this. Most of the Uni ads I see say free phone and internet. With such low salaries, how in the world can they expect foreigners to want to work for them with no perks at all?

They also had no problem spending my own money, telling me that if they sent me to HK, I would be flipping the bill for travel. Absurd. I am going to pay for something they require for me to work for them? I suppose covering al visa costs doesn't apply to trips "outside" of mainland China.

I as very disappointed. Yes, Wuhan is a very hard place to be, very popular, and all the good Uni jobs get taken by people who know other people. Basically it is who you know, I never see posts here advertised online. Always someone who is a friend of a friend that gets the job.

I have a decade and half of teaching experience, yet they want to be cheap. I guess there are just too many folks out there who will work for peanuts and no benefits.

The only positive was decent healthcare coverage, but everything else, well, there was nothing else. What a sham.

I may post their name and info here later, don't know yet.

Messages In This Thread
What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- Not surprised anymore -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- The Enlightened One -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- druther not say -- 2009-01-13
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- druther not say -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- doesitmatter -- 2009-01-14
Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school? -- Not surprised anymore -- 2009-01-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: What's reaonable and unreasonable to ask of a school?

Go to another board -