TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Longre No Longer - Longre Institute, Shanghai
David - 2009-01-30

I worked at Longre and can vouch for it being a good place to work.

As you pointed out, there is no job security - if they don't like you they'll fire you. Is that a big deal though? In Shanghai it is fairly easy to get another job quite quickly ( I assume you're talking about the Shanghai Longres - I know they have branches in other cities).

Anyway, I think you're far off the mark about people at Longre not having degrees. Everyone I met there had a degree and many had teaching certificates. You come across as quite opinionated; as if you 'know the deal', but you're really talking through your hat mate.

You reckon it's better to work at a University - go ahead. All power to you. You won't be happy on pay day. At Longre most people made about 12,000 a month. Many made about 15,000.

They were the ones who worked casually though, who didn't sign a contract. In my opinion, it's the best way to work in China. Don't sign a contract and don't commit yourself to anyone. They stay nice that way. If you're a half decent teacher you'll get plenty of work - and if you don't want to do a class you just say no.

Of course, you're working illegally. But so what? Maybe it's different now (I was there a couple of years ago) but most teachers I met in SH were working illegally. Nobody asks and you don 't tell. I heard some people got caught and deported but they were just extremely unlucky. The other 50 thousand went about life there with no problems. Like I said, it may be different now - I don't know.

Anyway, just try not to shoot off at the mouth about things you don't really know about. You've got no idea about teaching in China if you think working at a University is a good idea. I only bothered answering because guys like you really annoy me: the teacher who thinks they've got it all worked out, spouting off advice to newbies, when they're talking utter crap.

So shut it mate.

Messages In This Thread
(Message Deleted by Poster) -- quixote -- 2008-12-07
Re: Longre No Longer - Longre Institute, Shanghai -- Sunk -- 2008-12-09
Re: Longre No Longer - Longre Institute, Shanghai -- David -- 2009-01-30
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Longre No Longer - Longre Institute, Shanghai

Go to another board -