TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Xi'an, Native English Teachers
JJJ - 2009-02-05

Turns out the Foreign Affairs (or those staff responsible for Foreign guests) are typically the only person(s) who can communicate in English. School Staff are composed primarily of Chinese persons and FA Staff are given a wide berth to do as they wish. Sadly, some FA persons are often under qualified, a complete idiot, but cunning to keep Foreign guests as satisfied as minimally as needed. Yes.. from light bulbs, troubles with appliances, general maintenance items, even the often self-taught, "skilled workers" for cleaning and/or repair are substandard with requests for needed services "lost" or "misplaced". I personally know of 11 Western Foreigners who were fed up. They often would finish their contractual obligation and promptly leave (some don't wait until the end and students end up suffering believing the Foreigner is a flake).

Others I've met seem to have troubles at home (UK, USA, AUS, NZ, CA..other) and have nothing better to do or can't do any better for themselves. Also, I have met a few retired Foreign Teachers are most encouraging and intriguing with their former experiences and eyes wide open to China. I too experience the intrigue for China and its people. I've visited many Cities, towns, villages as time and travel permits. (it's truly nuts to travel during China holidays (Western holiday travel woes multiplied by 8, especially when unable to use the language). Perks.. traveling with locals, students, colleagues to see real China away from all the Tourist traps and "modernized China" which integrate the old with the new in such a fashion (everything from cloths, buildings, restaurants, to foods -- try the cakes.. still NO pies!) that even the locals can not tell real from (re)duplicated.

So as some of the Schools.. exterior campus and buildings appearances are often stunning but inside.. well.. the time jump backwards about 50 years includes ZERO airconditioning (that's why in the winter you see people wearing coats indoors of classrooms and other interior photos. And, in the summer.. interior melt down with classrooms with poor or no curtains. Often ceiling fans.. most even work. Group desks are bolted to floors and the Blackboards.. well.. breathing chalk dust.. Sucks!)

And most importantly.. the English worded Signs, advertisements, and conversations about China Universities.. well.. most.. are untrue. Meaning.. only a handful of these Institutions are directly overseen by the China Ministry of Education and can offer the post-graduate degrees whereas nearly all in Xian (except less than 7 schools of authorized higher education, as I can figure) are not authorized Universities. In fact, the English translation of the Schools' Chinese name often is misconstrued into University when in fact the true meaning is Institute, College, or something other. I have been told numerous times about this repeated offense and abuse of English Translations. There are a plethora.. SO... Beware! Beware of unscrupulous FA staff..once they get you.. they think they own you and will ignore you.. truly! They are "too busy".. if you only knew at doing what on a daily basis...another true disappointment.

Following link to the "actual China authorized Universities" and know that there are tons of licensing franchises.. off shoots of one Authorized School into numerous others often using the same name and logos. (confusing.. you bet! 7 years later and still trying to figure it out!) http://www.chinatoday.com/edu/a00.htm

Confronting the Executive Staff has its merits but the locals typically frown upon complaints even requests for supplies or repairs. Even to speak with a store Supervisor or Manager is most difficult (something to do with fear of reprisal to the employee who makes the inquiry for the customer) Education and English Teaching is strictly a business with a bottom line.. So, many Westerners come and GO quickly! Everyone is out to get that 1/10 of a penny or more if they can.... (ie., Open Market Sellers have 4 pricing groups - 1)friends/family (free -30%), 2)locals (20%-100%), 3)non-locals (40 to 130%, 4)Foreigners (100% to 600%).. ok.. even 5)complete idiots (500% and the skies the limit.. typically on supposed Antiques..vehicles.. applicances, repairs, large ticket items or businesses).

Know the same idiology applies to most business including to Education and English Teaching. Salaries" 12 to 22hrs Lessons/week. Degree only with no Teach/work experience 3,500 to 4,500/mon plus free residence including basic utilities, Airline intl (home) rdtrp and 1 annual domestic travel, Holiday salaries, Medical Insurance, and full sponsor of work Visa/Resident permit (NOT the Tourist Visa.. this Visa will cause you difficulties!) As for me.. I am tired of the former career of Heavy Manufacturing and Training, and semi-retired.. found Teaching most intriguing and rewarding utilizing many of my skills and experiences.. Have it be known I strain to distinguish the fake from authentic. I have never been to the Beijing Great Wall (I have been to Beijing numerous times).. but I do plan to see its remains in Yulin, Shaanxi province...before the reconstruction, restoring, or "maintenance" efforts.

This young man's story is interesting.. although a tad bit on the ignorant. Overall..an interesting summary.
http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0503/teaching_english_in_china_esl_jobs_abound.shtml

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Xi'an, Native English Teachers

Go to another board -