TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Finnigan - 2009-02-22

"There is some argument about what qualifies as ironic, but all senses of irony revolve around the perceived notion of an incongruity between what is said and what is meant; or between an understanding of reality, or an expectation of a reality, and what actually happens."
Wikipedia

Well then, I suppose the reality that one expects to find in an English teacher's forum would be the proper use of the language. However, what actually happens is that the posters who are the most garrulous in this forum are also those that so often make a mockery of the language and whose efforts to inform others often go unnoticed simply because they have learned only the function of the English language and have ignored its form.

I've been checking out this forum on occasion now for more than a few years. I always do so with a sense of hope that those who I have referenced above will have made some strides in their language use. Unfortunately, I see the same mistakes, spelling, punctuation, language use etc., again and again. It is as if they have reached a point in their language studies where they feel that "good enough is good enough." I've spoken to many teachers about this phenomenon. Most of them avoid forums where the posters reveal their lack of professionalism in this way. What a pity! Many of them would be great contributors in terms of what they have to offer to this or any teacher's forum.

My advice to the posters that so often stumble in their language use is that there are a plethora of websites where one can find out how to properly use the language. If you don't want to bother with that, I'm sure the textbooks at your place of employment can help you.

Consider this constructive criticism. It's not an attack. The criticism is offered with the hope that those of you who take the time to frequently post in this forum will also take the time to hone your skills by taking advantage of the many resources available to do so. A little study each day is all it takes. You might be surprised at your own progress and professional development if you'll just take the time to make language study a part of your daily routine. In short, you'll be glad you did - and so will your students.

Messages In This Thread
irony -- Finnigan -- 2009-02-22

Go to another board -