TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers
Li Bai - 2009-03-02
In response to Help!!! ESL Teachers (Tina)

Hi Tina

Will do what I can to help. Just finished a research paper so I know what you are going through. My answers:

1. Number of years as ESL/BED/SI instructor; grade level(s) teaching; school name, etc.

Eight years in Asia. Six in China. All ages and levels from kindies to business.

2. What do you enjoy most about your job?

Seeing my students succeed in competitions or receiving that well deserved pay raise.

3. What are the biggest challenges that you face in your job?

Convincing Asian teachers and parents that English is not like math. There may be a different way of doing something, but because it is different, it is not necessarily wrong. Some parents just have to accept the fact that money does not a good English speaker make.

4. Have you seen any changes in the student population since you began teaching?

My student numbers have increased which suggests I may be a good teacher.

5. What do you wish you had known when you first started teaching that you know now?

That most Asian children have very little knowledge of the outside world. Too many computer games and too much homework do not give them time to be children or gain needed life skills.

6. Do you have any advice for me as an intern or for when I get my own classroom?

Leave that suitcase, bag or box of logic behind. As a woman be prepared to be disrespected but DO NOT take it. Listen to what the parents want and then ignore them. Focus on the success of your students. You will also find that the girls are more motivated and will at least try.

Messages In This Thread
Help!!! ESL Teachers -- Tina -- 2009-02-26
Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers -- Li Bai -- 2009-03-02
Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers -- Tina -- 2009-03-02
Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers -- Tina -- 2009-02-27
Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers -- Kevin -- 2009-02-27
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Help!!! ESL Teachers

Go to another board -