TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Why do schools Hide info? (I don't get it.)
GreenSmurf - 2009-03-08

After some months of rigorous job hunting, I have found that for no reason that makes any plausible sense that schools start off hiding the most essential information we as teachers need to know in order to decide if we even want the job.

It happened with a good half of the jobs I applied for. Look at advertisement, no information, often not even a school name, certainly no mention of salary, number of classes, nothing. respond to the ad, simply asking for pay and class number, response is "We want your CV, then we will tell you everything you need to know."

Now I don't get it, how exactly am I supposed to have interest in your school if I don't know anything about it, and why would I apply when you are so evasive?

This is just something I don't get. If I am looking at job ad's, and see an ad that is vague, ambiguous, and gives no information, I'm likely going to A, move on, or B, ask the poster the information I want. If they evade my questions in any way, I will move on. I mean really, how is the pay, work hours, things like that some sort of secret?

It seems like their is some general principle that compels schools to feel a need to hide any and everything, no matter how minute it may be. From my point of view, this information is essential, and it makes me rather suspicious when some school owner refuses to share what the job even pays unless I send him all of my personal information first. What, do I have to pay to get a peek? I mean really, truly absurd if you ask me.

How hard it is for schools to understand that you don't hide essential details, in fact, the more details the better, and the more professional you will seem if you post them.

I can't for the life of me help thinking what idiots some of these folks are for leaving out any and everything, and expecting people to have interest. besides those who are extremely curious, most people are going to just pass these posters by, whether it is a quality job or not. I mean really, how would anybody know?

Why do so many schools placer so many ad's completely lacking information?

Could be that they believe only those who are "really interested" will answer. That's rather circular logic though, I find such thinking to be more counter productive.

Could be a control thing, a way to give themselves an edge in bargaining, who knows. All I know is that, whenever I see such an advertisement, I usually just pass it by, or ask via email, and if they won't answer, for whatever reason, I don't even bother responding.

Am I wrong, or is it just really really stupid to be so secretive about details that are in truth the most essential?

Messages In This Thread
Why do schools Hide info? (I don't get it.) -- GreenSmurf -- 2009-03-08
Re: Why do schools Hide info? (I don't get it.) -- The Enlightened One -- 2009-03-12
Re: Why do schools Hide info? (I don't get it.) -- couldn't keep quiet -- 2009-03-08
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Why do schools Hide info? (I don't get it.)

Go to another board -