TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China: What can I expect?
Paul - 2009-03-10

Hello :)

After getting back to Europe from China I started to miss it almost instantly. Now, after few months, I am looking at possible chances to get back there. Going as a teachers looks like the best idea, but I'm not really sure if it would work for me. During my stay in China I met several people that worked as English teachers and I must say, but never thought about asking them for details. The funny thing was that their English knowledge was very very poor [like one guy from Zimbabwe, that had really bad spelling and I bet English was 2nd or 3rd language for him]. I also met a girl from Korea that finished English major at university in Seoul and all she could say was "Hi, my name is ..." :) I don't think that even one of teachers I met there had any experience in that field, or anything that would prepare them for that. Is it normal thing? Or did I meet examples of some low-paid people that probably got screwed later?

Anyway, getting to the point - what could I expect if I decided to go to China as a teacher? My situation is like that:
- I'm not a native speaker [but used it more often that my first language in last years]
- I'm not from an English-speaking country [but hey, I'm white and from Europe :) I also have US "green card", but no passport]
- I know some Chinese [spent half a year learning it in Xi'An, improving it all the time now]
- I don't have any university degree [yet :)]
- my only experience is teaching 1 on 1
- I have CAE [really old] certificate, could do BEC [or even Proficiency] easily in May, if it helps

I am now getting a degree in computer science, but I could switch to online learning, which would require coming to my country two times a year for exams. I'd be willing to work 1-3 years in China [mostly for the food :) especially sichuan... Oh, and playing badminton every day :)]. So can I expect anything fair with that? If yes, what's the next step [most of ads I've seen ask for "native speaker with bachelor's degree"]?

Thanks,
Paul

[Edited by Administrator (admin) Sat, 14 May 2011, 03:12 AM]

Messages In This Thread
China: What can I expect? -- Paul -- 2009-03-10
Re: What can I expect? -- Turino -- 2009-03-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › China: What can I expect?

Go to another board -