TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China
Jerome - 2009-03-20

Beggars in Beijing make more than 2,000 a month. I've been in China a long time. I've worked in six different provinces. I've worked for as much as 16,000 and for as little as 6,000. Moreover, as you can imagine, I know many Chinese people. All of them make well over 2,000 a month and would be shocked to to find that a foreigner was making so little. In fact, on one hand they'd probably feel sorry for you and would definitely tell you that you've been cheated, and, on the other hand, they would find it quite difficult to respect you.

Some foreigners in China who have failed to negotiate a proper salary will happily tell you 2 - 4,000 kwai is plenty. Misery loves company.

Finally, if you are so easily manipulated as to accept such a low wage, your employers will continue to manipulate you in other ways. For example, they'll probably stick you in a very low end apartment, have you doing English Corners for no pay, withhold pay for whatever reason they can think of, cheat you on your flight pay and the list goes on.

Of course, having no degree makes things a little more difficult for you. Actually, though, it is not legal for a public university to hire you anyway. There are loopholes to the law, and some Public Security Bureaus can be, shall we say "convinced" to provide you with a work visa, but generally the rules are tightening these days.

My advice is to finish your degree and then get a TESOL certificate. At that point, you can negotiate from a position of confidence with the added realization that anything less than 6,000 is not only peanuts but also insulting.

Messages In This Thread
China: General help with hours of work, China -- HooT -- 2009-03-18
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-03-19
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Turino -- 2009-03-26
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-03-27
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Turino -- 2009-03-28
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Roy -- 2009-03-20
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Turino -- 2009-03-19
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Turino -- 2009-03-18
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Jerome -- 2009-03-20
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- NPN Gains -- 2009-03-22
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Jerome -- 2009-03-23
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- NPN Gains -- 2009-03-23
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- NPN Gains -- 2009-03-23
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- John latimer -- 2009-03-20
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Turino -- 2009-03-22
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Jerome -- 2009-03-22
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Jerome -- 2009-03-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China

Go to another board -