TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China
Jerome - 2009-03-21

Nope, not working myself to death. Eighteen teaching periods. Two hours a week for consultation with students in the office. Three days off per week. All the bennies. Nice apartment. Beautiful campus. However, as a coordinator I do sometimes give the job more time and energy than some people think I should. Nevertheless, my students appreciate the extra effort.

Regardless of the fact that I have no expectations of getting rich in China, I've never approached my work here any differently than I would in America; that is, I give my all to it. Effort equals increase - no matter where you are. Maybe that increase does not always manifest itself as financial gain, but there's more to life than a pocketful of cash. Satisfaction with a job well done, for example, means a lot to me. Moreover, I like being appreciated. It makes me feel good. When I see positive results in my classes or in individual students, I feel especially satisfied.

I did once work for 10,000 kwai at a private training center. Had an eleventh floor apartment in a beautiful complex. It was a very nice apartment with three bedrooms and two bathrooms and a big kitchen. Nevertheless, at that school I was just the white faced clown assisting the Chinese teacher. I was never given the opportunity to exercise my belief that effort equals increase, so I quit after the six week trial period.

Most teachers who've been in China for an extended period of time realize that nothing is written in stone. Wages and benefits are almost always negotiable. If they really want you to teach instead of emulating Bozo, they'll pay you a decent wage - especially, if you have a resume and CV that clearly show you are an experienced and dedicated teacher. Assuming, of course, that they've even bothered to read them. If not, I really don't want to work for them anyway, as that is a clear indication of their lack of professionalism. I don't want a job just because I can walk erect and have a white face.

So, step up to the plate with the realization that you've got enough power in your swing to knock the ball out of the park. Those of you who are accepting low wages are making it more difficult for others to get a decent wage in China; however, it can be done.

Messages In This Thread
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- Jerome -- 2009-03-21
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China

Go to another board -