TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China
doesitmatter - 2009-03-28

"Associate "degrees" are something very specific to the US system, and very fortunately we do not have such pretend "degrees" in Europe."
Turnoi

Really? I doubt very seriously that those who possess such a degree would agree with your assessment. However, let's for the moment put aside your mockery and see what Wikipedia tells us:

An associate degree is an academic degree awarded by community colleges, junior colleges, four-year universities, business colleges and some bachelor's degree-granting colleges/universities upon completion of a course of study usually lasting two years.

Common abbreviations are:

* AA (Associate of Arts)

* AE (Associate of Engineering; or, in some cases, Associate in Electronics Engineering Technology)

* AN (Associate of Nursing)

* AS (Associate of Science)

* AF (Associate of Forestry)

* AT (Associate of Technology)

* AAA (Associate of Applied Arts)

* AAB (Associate of Applied Business)

* AAS (Associate of Applied Science; or in some cases, Associate of Arts and Sciences)

* AAT (Associate of Arts in Teaching)

* ABA (Associate of Business Administration)

* ABS (Associate of Baccalaureate Studies)

* ADN (Associate Degree in Nursing)

* AES (Associate of Engineering Science)

* AET (Associate in Engineering Technology)

* AFA (Associate of Fine Arts)

* AGS (Associate of General Studies)

* AIT (Associate of Industrial Technology)

* AOS (Associate of Occupational Studies)

* APE (Associate of Pre-Engineering)

* APS (Associate of Political Science)

* APS (Associate of Public Service)

* ASPT-APT (Associate in Physical Therapy)

In the United States and Canada, an associate degree is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college or university degree. It is the lowest in the hierarchy of postsecondary academic degrees offered in these countries. It is also equivalent to the UK's foundation degree and France's diplme d'tudes universitaires gnrales or DEUG. In 2000, Hong Kong introduced associate degrees, as an equivalence to higher diplomas. These programmes are mainly provided through affiliated colleges at universities. In 2004, Australia added "associate degree" to the Australian Qualifications Framework. This title was given to more academically focused advanced diploma courses. However, very few courses yet use the new title.
_____

I would hope that if you were ever in need of physical therapy, you would not feel inclined to mock your therapist due to his possession of an Associate degree only. Nor would I advise laughing at the electrician who's rewiring your home - that might create a disastrous reaction. Personally, I have a great deal of respect for those who have taken the time to gain such a degree. Often, they have earned their AA by attending night school while working a full time day job. I would go so far as to say they could be considered "the salt of the earth."

I do however agree with your assessment of Chinese English teachers as not having the necessary skills to teach English effectively. But please note that I wrote, "qualified Chinese English teachers." Granted, they are few and far between, but they are out there.

We both know that the real problem with the Chinese education system is the apparent recalcitrance of leaders to allow for change that is obviously needed. Nevertheless, the problem is amplified by external factors such as the hiring of "teachers" who, as I've outlined before, have a variety of agendas that are self serving at best.

"First, the Turino poster certainly is a well-qualified teacher."
Turnoi

Where did I imply that Turino is not a well qualified teacher? In fact, I have recognized by reading some of his prior posts that he probably is qualified. Be careful with your inferences.

"And please, do refrain from telling us that we should know what an Associate "degree" is."
Turnoi

What do you mean by "us?" I was responding directly to Turino when I wrote that I was surprised by his lack of knowledge on that particular issue.

"........we are not need in you lecturing us about obvious deficiencies in the tertiary US educational system."
Turnoi

Better go back and read that post again, Turnoi. I think you took a wrong turn somewhere. By the way, I've often wondered what exactly is your fascination with the word "tertiary." Yeah, it does roll of the tongue rather nicely, but really........

As to the relevance of my own education, other than telling you that it is quite relevant, I'll simply leave that to your imagination and refuse to play the game of "beating my own drum."

Finally, in defense of those who have earned a CELTA certification, I believe they have done a serious amount of focused work to earn such a certification and normally would not have been accepted into the program without having first completed a BA. Granted, there are TESOL certification programs that are relatively worthless; however, CELTA is not one of them and I think you've opened a real can of worms by writing the following:
".........(other than the CELTA that I cannot take seriously and would consider a joke!)"

Have a nice day.

Messages In This Thread
Re: General help with hours of work, China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-03-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: General help with hours of work, China

Go to another board -