TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Aston English Review
Theo - 2009-03-28

I AGREE with Silverboy and Turino COMPLETELY! That NS sentiment is precisely what ultimately drove me out of China. No matter what problems arose (quite often idiotic or outrageous ones), whether they had to do with education or living quarters, for the 5 years I was there (2003-2008) the same ol' "we are a developing country," "you should be more flexible," and "do as the Romans do" (I would always reply -- "That's the problem, I don't know what the 'Romans' are doing!") is just cultural-difference masking for cunning employers who think westerners are stupid and have no standards or self-respect and won't notice what stunts they're trying to get away with. All that garbage is used to make foreigners feel insensitive -- such malarkey! The ultimate in passive/aggressive behavior: smile brightly while making the foreigner feel like a bully because they expect a professional work environment or something frivolous like heat or hot water in their apartment.

We all know Aston English has basically a lousy reputation among foreign teachers. I'll accept the argument that quality and work environment vary from franchise to franchise, management to management; but the fact remains that Aston offers poor contract terms and expectations.

Far too much negative word-of-mouth has circulated about Aston for me to be swayed by "The Unbiased One" and his protestations and proclamations. Sounds like Aston management/recruiters working overtime to lure unsuspecting newbies.

One discretionary study of their contracts will send up a stinky stench of exploitation.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Aston English Review -- Theo -- 2009-03-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Aston English Review

Go to another board -