TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL - EFL: What's the difference?
Emma - 2009-03-29
In response to ESL - EFL: What's the difference? (Finnigan)

I think the reason most people don't see a distinction is because as the world shrinks and more and more people do business in English, EFL aims and ESL aims are almost one and the same.

I do think that recruiters need to make sure they realise they are hiring EFL teachers. Overseas, the majority of their students will not immediately need to know how to set up a bank account, find daycare for their children, or organise health insurance if they find out they have cancer. Those examples are all things an ESL teacher would need to cover.

To keep the discussion going, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the difference between an ESL course for recent immigrants to Canada, and an ESL course for foreign students staying short-term (perhaps two years) in Canada. How would that need to be different? Does it really need to be any different?

Messages In This Thread
ESL - EFL: What's the difference? -- Finnigan -- 2009-03-22
Re: ESL - EFL: What's the difference? -- Emma -- 2009-03-29
Re: ESL - EFL: What's the difference? -- Finnigan -- 2009-03-29
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: ESL - EFL: What's the difference?

Go to another board -