TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: clarity helps
alex - 2009-04-05

Well, uh, yes; that is, if you only use one or two at a time. Nihilistic - that's pretty creative. I prefer quantifiers though: Like, "Some schools are run by know-nothing, nihilistic parasites. Got a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say? Also, generalities tend to steer readers away from the real meaning. Moreover, if you get more creative with your invectives, you can catch more readers - maybe more mockers, though; that wouldn't be good. Better start out small. My father used to say, "Always leave 'em laughin," but I haven't been able to pull that one off yet.

Your idea of ridiculing your "enemy" publicly needs some consideration. I would guess, though, that you're speaking with lingering anger over a past incident. Don't get me wrong, though - I was there and I saw the whole nine yards. Got taken pretty good a few times. Nevertheless, I kind of believe in a less ruthless path. The pen is mightier than the sword path is a good one, though, so far be it from to advise you away from that one. I don't mind reading your work. I'd just like to see that there's always room for adjustments. As it could turn out, you may be more good at descriptive writing than you realize.

Messages In This Thread
Re: clarity helps -- alex -- 2009-04-05
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: clarity helps

Go to another board -