TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China
doesitmatter - 2009-04-11

I find it difficult to agree with your assessment of probationary periods as being unnecessary. In fact, I wish that the probationary period would be used to its full effectiveness in terms of weeding out inappropriate teachers. What is comical about probationary periods, if not downright pathetic, is that they are not used in a manner that would show administrators as student advocates. Essentially, it comes down to more a manner of whether or not the teacher has properly performed the ritual of kissing the proffered derriere, or, in other cases where they have conducted themselves in a manner that isn't seen as rocking the boat.

Personally, I prefer the don't rock the boat method - up to a point anyway. Ultimately, I find it difficult to zip the lip and when I find myself in that situation I know that my relationship with management will soon deteriorate to the point where I will find it difficult to continue. Thankfully, these are not long term contracts and there's always another job down the road.

Yes, I have observed the aforementioned derriere ritual and find it exceedingly difficult to control the gag reflex. Actually, I've given it a lot of thought. There's much to be learned by watching the behavior of one's colleagues. It seems as though the teachers who are the least qualified, as I know you agree, seem to be put in positions that will enable them to lord it over their fellow teachers, even those who are far more qualified and committed to excellence than themselves. Well, other than excellence at posterior positioning, that is. Clearly there are those who think nothing of the fact that their knees are becoming bruised by such an exercise, as long as there is a certain degree of ascension associated with it.

So, bring on the probationary period; I could really get behind it if it were properly applied - hmm, "behind it" - maybe not such a good choice of words.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-04-11
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Turino -- 2009-04-11
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China

Go to another board -