TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China
doesitmatter - 2009-04-12

Given a choice, I would rather be evaluated by a Chinese teacher who has at least a modicum amount of training in EFL teaching and has attained a pretty good level of L2 competency. Language training, be it ESL or EFL, is a whole other ball game. That is, an educator, or even a Linguist, is not necessarily trained in the intricacies of Second Language Acquisition. Certainly, a background in Applied Linguistics would be quite helpful, however, and especially so if coupled with training in TESOL and/or TESOFL.

Having said that, though, there definitely needs to be a clear distinction made here between teaching Oral English to Middle and Senior School students and that of teaching college students. And then, of course, we need to recognize the vast differences in the mind set of first tier college students compared to second, third and fourth tier students in China. First tier students, especially English majors, will be far more demanding in terms of their expectations of foreign teachers. In that situation, it's not as much of a popularity contest as it is in the lower tiers where, after all, students are basically buying their degrees.

Truthfully, though, as you may have noted by reading my last post, it's difficult to take all this seriously. After all, it's a question of competency, and, as you know, everywhere you turn in the Chinese education system you'll bump into incompetency. I wish that we, the foreign teachers, would be given the opportunity, even informally, to do some evaluations of our own. Of course if we were were to do so, that would go over like a lead balloon. Any advice offered to those who administrate this system is generally treated like a contagious disease. For example: Recently, we hired a new associate dean. After she had been there for a few weeks I asked her for some specifics regarding her responsibilities. She stated that she was now in charge of all the foreign teachers. After another week passed, I asked her if she had read the CVs and/or resumes of the 25 foreign teachers on our staff. "Uh, well, no, I've been much too busy for that." Well, I had hoped for some changes in how FTs were chosen to teach particular subjects, but obviously they're going to stick with the dartboard method and hope the students won't complain too awfully much. Who really cares if a teacher who has never taught before and has a degree in basket weaving is chosen to teach academic writing. He's white, he's seemingly personable and he can walk upright. What more could you ask for? Excellence? No, that won't do - it would set a dangerous trend.

So, lets be honest. Basically, it's just a matter of them putting up with us and us putting up with them. Change, if it happens at all, comes as the result of student observations that are non-evaluative in terms of competency - it's more about perception and their own particular comfort zone. Moreover, you could provide the best second language learning environment ever in your classroom, but if your students don't like the work load or have some personal grudge against you, get ready to pack your bags. As we know, it's all about the dollar. At the college where I work, a third tier college, 15,000RMB a year for four years buys you a piece of paper that is essentially worthless. Students know that, but apparently their parents just don't get it. In fact, I'm pretty thick headed myself; it's taken me three years at that college to figure it out, so next year, somewhat reluctantly, I'll be teaching at a first tier college. I say reluctantly because I have formed quite a few meaningful relationships among the student body and I would like to see the progress of those few students who have developed good study skills and have finally become motivated since leaving senior school. It's a pity really that they're stuck in that third tier box and can't get out of it, no matter how much they demonstrate solid academic progress.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-04-12
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China

Go to another board -