TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China
cunning lingisut - 2009-04-14

You wrote: -

"Is exactly what we FT's need like we need a hole in the head!
... But my experience as a FT here in China also tells me that Chinese bosses in the education sector usually show considerable respect to rich FT's working for them, especially to those who happen to be whites from North America."

This post bothers me because it does not seem to take into account all of the other reasoned posts on the subject. To lump all institutions together under the "education sector" is blatantly unfair. Not all Chinese bosses are bad people and if they express a preference for North American white people that's their business and is more likely to relate to the "love affair" that China seems to have with North America. Take for example the health sector. Almost 30 years ago China was in the top ten according to official statistics, now it it near the bottom -Why? - because it copied America's system, resulting in 70% of the population unable or unwilling to afford private medical insurance. I also read somewhere that less than 15% of the American people actually have a passport that would enable them to travel to other countries.

Chinese students, fed a diet of American movies, where every college kid drives to university in an open top car and spends all their time bitching about other students, ignores the "underclass" in American society and gives those Chinese students an inaccurate view. No wonder they experience 'culture shock' when going to the US for postgraduate studies! The same applies to the UK where Chinese students and their teachers see England as being like Jane Austen or Emily Bronte, rather than the copycat of American society where there are guns on the streets and gang warfare in the cities is no different than the Bronx!

It seems to me that some of the FTs who generally experience bad treatment are inexperienced, or lacking qualifications and common sense and lay themselves open to abuse. Quite frankly some issues are minor and can be sorted out by a firm approach. Others are more serious, but then I have never been interested in private language schools, state schools or training centres so I don't put myself in a position where I can be conned.

I have had the pleasure of working with 3 black American teachers who did not experience prejudice - why , because they were bloody good teachers!!

As for probationary periods no teacher should be afraid of these if they are conducted properly. And if they are not then we should do something about it!!

Messages In This Thread
Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Wily -- 2009-04-10
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- ESLman -- 2009-04-11
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Turino -- 2009-04-11
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- ESLman -- 2009-04-12
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Turino -- 2009-04-13
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Marcus -- 2009-04-13
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- cunning lingisut -- 2009-04-14
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- Marcus -- 2009-04-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China

Go to another board -