TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China
doesitmatter - 2009-04-14

Yes, you are quite fortunate to be working at a first tier college where professionalism is no doubt a consideration rather than an after thought. The "dartboard" method is just an imaginative way of describing the seemingly random manner in which the Dean of our college chooses which teacher will teach a given subject. That is, there certainly isn't a great deal of thought given the manner. Considering the fact that he nor any of his staff bother to read CVs, how could there be? About 70% of our foreign teaching staff of 25 "teachers" consists of first time teachers with no training and/or interest in EFL or any other kind of education. It may shock you to know that very often the first class assigned to such teachers is a writing class. Well, as my friend's father used to say, "Go figger how a cow catch a rabbit."

I like the idea of rotating teachers - especially in light of the fact that it allows teachers to avoid the tedium associated with teaching the same subject over and over. And as you said, it may help the administrators determine the appropriateness of one teacher over another for a given subject. It sure beats the style of our college, which, basically, is hoping for the best without, as I said giving much thought to the matter.

"I honestly believe that if we work within the constraints but establish good professional relationships it brings dividends in a better teaching, learning and work environment."
cunning linguist

Very well said, and shows a positive attitude that is definitely necessary in this challenging world of EFL in China. However, there does come a point when all the positivity in the world fails to break down the recalcitrance of the old boy network and even a little bit of compromise fails to materialize. What I've noticed is that the larger the foreign teaching staff, the less the administration is willing to accept advice of any kind.

Glad you're in what is apparently a fairly professional environment where there is a commitment to excellence for the sake of the students.

Take care.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China -- doesitmatter -- 2009-04-14
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Probationary Periods For FT's in China

Go to another board -