TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The allure of Shenzhen
Turino - 2009-04-16
In response to Re: The allure of Shenzhen (uhinsz)

Why do some people feel the need to reply to every post and then say something that makes no sense? I've lived in China for 6 years and I can tell you that Shenzhen doesn't feel like "China" to me and that is exactly the point I was making.

As you're living there, you'll obviously know much more about that city than those who are not.What China is these days cannot be generalised.The developed areas have gone their own way,while many backwaters have changed little,and represent traditional China,especially in the attitudes of the local people there.

I DON'T expect Shenzhen to be any different from any other big city anywhere in the world and I never stated otherwise. It IS, in fact, the real China I miss. Being able to ride a bike or walk places. Paying reasonable rent for an apartment. Having no difficulty finding meaningful work. Having the police leave you alone if you're not causing any trouble. Stuff like that. I know what I'm talking about, OK?

Big cities tend to be focussed too much on capitalism.As for the police not leaving you alone there,that's because Shenzhen is inhabited by some very dishonest incomers,both Chinese and foreigners.Many educated Chinese know it's a dangerous place to live in.Foreigners must know that too,for example I do.That's why I'm surprised there are so many foreigners there - maybe most of them are there to try to make a lot of money.As I'm not so money-orientated,I'd never go there in the first place!

Messages In This Thread
Re: The allure of Shenzhen -- uhinsz -- 2009-04-16
Re: The allure of Shenzhen -- Turino -- 2009-04-16
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: The allure of Shenzhen

Go to another board -