TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Yingwen Laoshi - 2009-04-23

I am sure you are aware that, in China, making comments like this, in red, is consdired bad form?

As you apparently have a bit of a problem with red words, I've been careful to highlight your thoughts in black.

I'm not exactly clear about the point you're trying to make. First of all the "comments like that" sic. were not my comments. I just used red to help readers make a clear distinction between my thoughts and those of the poster I was replying to. Those comments were made by the previous poster so if it were the actual thoughts expressed that you objected to, then I can rightly say "Not Guilty!"

As red seemed to be the only colour option available, (black is available but not mentioned, nor was I aware of it) it was a natural and innocent act on my part to use that colour.

Red is considered a positive colour in China, hence it's prevalent usage during happy occasions such as marriage ceremonies. Are you saying that it's wrong to write/print things in red if the words expressed are not wonderfully positive? If red writing is such bad form, then my students must really think badly of me, because while in China I must have written about 7,000 comments in red on my student's writing papers. I think you need to clarify what "comments like this" mean. My wife has told me that what I did would not bother most Chinese people. Anyway, I'm British, and although I could be wrong, I believe the person that I was responding to is not Chinese, either.

If using red is as bad a practice as you say it is, then surely the owners/managers of this forum, which is extensively used and read in China, would not provide such a facility for use on this site. In fact if you look around this forum you will see that they use red print quite often for the same purpose as myself, to highlight, or bring attention to a particular message. For example "New" is written in red to help us distinguish which posts we may already have read from those that we haven't.

If you were just kidding then ignore my message and have a good laugh at my expense for taking your comments way too seriously.

Messages In This Thread
Well Red? -- Yingwen Laoshi -- 2009-04-23
Re: Well Red? -- cunning liguist -- 2009-04-23

Go to another board -