TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English First in China, Is This A Good Place to Work?
Warn-er - 2009-04-28

I worked for EF Kids Schools in Beijing just last year. I hope you haven't accepted the job. When I arrived, there were only 8 teachers at all the four schools in Beijing. Half the FTs quit within weeks of my arrival leaving me to work at all four schools so I got a good overview of all the kids schools. There may be more staff now but I believe EF problems have to do with the culture of the company, not the number of staff. Run away from EF as fast as you can. I left after only 4 months, and I was the fifth of the eight persons who were hired when I arrived in the city to leave. The people who left HATED EF by the time we left - no respect from the often abusive Chinese staff, no time off, long hours in class. You will be worked like a dog and have only one day off a week. At one point we had to work through normal time off and were unable to take a break for almost two weeks. Horrible!

Don't let anyone tell you that Beijing has changed in the few months since I left. Believe me, you don't want to work for the power-tripping foreign Directors of Studies or some Chinese managers - and I'm speaking of specific people at several schools in Beijing, not slurring staff in general.

Messages In This Thread
Re: English First in China, Is This A Good Place to Work? -- JessicaMarie84 -- 2009-04-09
Re: English First in China, Is This A Good Place to Work? -- Warn-er -- 2009-04-28
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: English First in China, Is This A Good Place to Work?

Go to another board -