TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".
doesitmatter - 2009-05-03

Yes, indeed, it is all about revenue and deception isn't it? Let me relate something that recently happened at the college where I'm employed. The leaders have decided that there's way too much paper being used to print material for the students. Bottom line there of course is that it's cutting into their profits. And, believe me it's not about their concern for the environment. Their solution to the "problem" is that from now on if we want something printed, we have to give it to the classroom monitor several days in advance. The monitor must then have it approved. At that point, if approved, then the cost will be borne by the students in that particular class. Naturally, this will cut down on the use of paper because few of us want to be responsible for making the students bear the cost; after all, they're not all rich. Unfortunately, it will also cut down on creative lesson planning.

I guess I should add that it's not solely about the revenue because it's also about graduating a huge population of students who would otherwise be wandering around aimlessly. But that's another disturbing factor and this is where the deception comes in. They are deceived into believing that an English major degree is the holy grail of future employment. Hah! Now there are millions of unemployed young graduates who haven't the skills to engage in a meaningful career. How frustrating that must be for them. But then I also find it amazing that most English major students, when asked what their career goals are, reply that they want to join an international business company. They just don't get it..........

As for career goals, lately I've been asking them, no, practically pleading with them, to consider other majors such as Environmental Studies. Ha! Not much interest there. Not that I'm surprised by that, but you'd think that some of them would take some interest in it. After all, most of them profess to have a great deal of pride in their country.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-03
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- Turino -- 2009-05-04
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".

Go to another board -