TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".
Turino - 2009-05-04

Hah! Now there are millions of unemployed young graduates who haven't the skills to engage in a meaningful career. How frustrating that must be for them. But then I also find it amazing that most English major students, when asked what their career goals are, reply that they want to join an international business company. They just don't get it..........

Even if they had the skills,they couldn't all get career jobs.There simply aren't enough of those kind of jobs available.But what's worse is that the cleverer and more knowledgeable students take great delight in feeling superior to their peers,even though they'll be in trouble too in the ultra competitive job market.Character-wise the Chinese way,and not to be admired!Look up to bosses,good or bad ones while looking down on others - one extreme or t'other!

As for career goals, lately I've been asking them, no, practically pleading with them, to consider other majors such as Environmental Studies. Ha! Not much interest there. Not that I'm surprised by that, but you'd think that some of them would take some interest in it. After all, most of them profess to have a great deal of pride in their country.

This love of their country is something that many of them adopt,in order to to be accepted by Chinese society.But when they're let down by said society,by being unable to get the kind of jobs they feel they rightfully deserve to get,they despair and become negative about their lives.They generally want to start their working lives as 'xiao louban',ie little bosses,and are very disappointed when they can't.The rich ones use special relationships to get middle class jobs,or spend their parents' money to study abroad,not as you might think to get skills,but to give themselves a big advantage by returning with a recognised degree certificate,an option they see as preferable to getting a worthless degree from a run-of-the mill Chinese university!Of course,they can also escape being forced to study hard at middle school here,or entering a redbrick Chinese university by studying abroad.And maybe get a better job here than they could otherwise get once they return with a Western degree.Last,this group mentality is often just a pretence.A good example of this is whenever Chinese sports teams play they almost always do badly because the team members can never be team players.They're too selfish individually to play as a team!So,any louwai who claims to love Chinese customs and culture is either lying,or just plain dumb in my opinion!The last statement without exception.But of course,there are always exceptions to the other things I've posted above.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-03
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- Turino -- 2009-05-04
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".

Go to another board -