TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".
doesitmatter - 2009-05-04

Yes, you're right about the "group mentality;" at least in the cities. In the villages I've been to I've noticed a higher sense of caring for one another. Perhaps, though, that's more about bonding through hardship than anything else. And then of course there's the age old concept of "the others" to consider. That is, anyone outside the village or extended family was mistrusted or even held in low esteem. It seems, too, that once they make it into the cities any pretense of compassion quickly wanes. Even my Chinese girlfriend, originally a villager, states that most Chinese people have a general feeling of disdain for each other.

I do, however, see a certain degree of loyalty within the classroom and even on the campus at large, so I often wonder to what degree that holds true after they graduate. Naturally, the issue of guanxi is relevant; that is, if they think there will be the possibility of advancement through maintaining certain relationships, they will definitely do so.

As for Chinese culture and customs, well, hmmm, after nearly six years here, I'm still trying to put my finger on it. It certainly works as a justification for them, doesn't it? When pressed to explain their reasoning behind just about any action, it's more often than not, "well that's our culture." Nope, ain't gonna buy it.

In response to my post you wrote, "Even if they had the skills,they couldn't all get career jobs.There simply aren't enough of those kind of jobs available." Couldn't agree more. So, from a sociological standpoint, how is that going to play out in say twenty or thirty years down the road? I mean, seriously, that's a lot of folks not contributing to the betterment of society.

In recent years, it's been suggested by certain talking heads that if this whole thing fails economically speaking, we'll see a whole lot of Chinese spilling across borders - or trying to do so. That's not a pretty picture. So it comes back to the very meaningful question of education, which we all know is pretty much proving to be a dead end street for millions of young people who, as we've noted, will be unemployed and perhaps wandering aimlessly and unwilling to get their hands dirty "down on the farm." Which raises another interesting question. Well there be a return to the days of "sent down" young people?

Messages In This Thread
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-03
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- Turino -- 2009-05-04
Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do". -- doesitmatter -- 2009-05-04
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "What private providers in the ESL/EFL industry should NEVER do".

Go to another board -