TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Health & Safety Regulations for FT's in China?
Turino - 2009-05-08

I taught at a joint venture college some years ago.Two wooden pallets placed side by side comprised the teacher's platform directly beneath the blackboard in one of the classrooms in which I taught.One pallet had a partially broken plank,which I had alerted the teacher in charge of foreign affairs about.But no repair work was carried out,and a few days later my left foot got trapped during class when said plank gave way.Next,four kind male students helped me to my feet.Luckily I hadn't broken or sprained my ankle.Nonetheless I was angry,so I took a picture of the broken pallet before mentioning the accident to the teacher in charge of foreign affairs.I added that I would submit the picture to a local newspaper for publication if the broken pallet wasn't repaired before my next class in that classroom,at which point he apologised profusely.Thereafter,he asked me to go to the classroom with him.Not long after our arrival,a workman appeared with a sturdy plank to replace the broken one. Hey presto,the platform was repaired in my presence in two shakes of a lamb's tail! Then the teacher in charge of foreign affairs asked me not to divulge anything about the accident to other teachers there,and to give him the picture and the negative as soon as my film was developed.I agreed,and kept both of my promises!
But say I'd broken my ankle and couldn't ascend on foot to the 4th floor to teach class!I believe that being let go without any compensation would have been a distinct possibility!
That said,Health & Safety Regulations for FT's in China!You've got to be joking!

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Health & Safety Regulations for FT's in China?

Go to another board -