TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: plagiarism
justjames - 2009-05-10

Thanks, Turnoi. Though I have my own thoughts on plagiarism in the EFL classroom that may differ from yours and that are specific to the EFL environment, I appreciate what you have said regarding the violation of copyright laws in China. Actually, I've done a little research - apparently not enough - regarding said laws, and I've yet to come up with a definitive answer to how one can protect themselves against violators. That is, how can I be sure, even if I use a reputable publisher, that any royalties earned will be handled fairly and honestly by the publisher and how can I be sure that my materials won't be used by others without proper compensation. After all, I've noted that it is a common practice by Chinese teachers at the colleges where I've taught in China to copy from text books. Students even copy entire text books and feel quite satisfied by the fact that they've saved money by doing so. Is there, then, any real way to be protected in China against copyright infringement?

Also, you stated that you watermarked your materials before letting them be used. How did you do that?

I also think it interesting to note that the Ministry of Education has just released a circular regarding academic plagiarism. Here's a few excerpts from an article I found at www.english.cri.cn regarding said circular that is supposed to be made available to all universities in China:

"Universities should investigate and deal with plagiarism in accordance with the law, with the help of its academic committee, the circular said."
(I wonder if they will take it seriously.)

"This circular was the first document to deal with academic plagiarism, said Xu Mei, spokeswoman with the ministry."
(I guess that shouldn't surprise me, but it does. Obviously, though, this is a reaction to what was recently reported in the news regarding certain professors at well know universities who have been plagiarizing. I also read a recent report wherein it was asserted that medical research submitted to America from China will, at this point, be treated in an off handed manner if not downright dismissed as irrelevant and untrustworthy.)

"According to the circular, the punishment for plagiarists could involve warnings, dismissal or even legal charges."
(I guess that depends on how much guanxi one has accrued.)

"Universities should handle plagiarism cases in a fair and open way and publish the results to the public."
(Again, arbitrary and apparently dependent on guanxi.)

But here's the most relevant section of the circular as far as students are concerned:
"The notice also ordered universities to set up workshops for teachers and students to improve their awareness of academic discipline."
(What I find disturbing about this particular passage is that it focuses on discipline rather than morality. Basically, it suggests to students that they shouldn't plagiarize because they might get caught.)

"These measures are intended to build up a long-term prevention mechanism to keep the academic field 'clean'," said Xu."
(That remains to be seen, but I definitely won't be holding my breath until that becomes a reality.)

Messages In This Thread
Re: plagiarism -- justjames -- 2009-05-10
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: plagiarism

Go to another board -