TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything"
cunning lingist - 2009-05-18
In response to Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" (Native English Speaker)

Really? But what you may infer from an advert and what I may infer from an advert will be different, particularly when there are several posts that call into question the credentials of this business. Now I can't offer an informed view on Shane as I have not experienced this company, but like all advertising it pays to be cautious about claims being made: - "implied" is a much better way of decribing it rather than " Most probably..." which I feel suggests an element of belief on your part in what they say. And this is what disturbs me most in this area of work (ESL), - it's easy to be duped.

It's possible that Shane are expressing a preference (or maybe prejudice), and dress it up with some phoney regulation. In other words you have answered my post by suggesting that it could be a "fabrication" for the reasons you gave, of discouraging non-native speakers from applying. Even if Shane are being honest and there is a "regulation", I still don't think the distinction should be between non-native v. native speakers but between those who are capable of doing a good job and those who would be out-of-their depth trying to teach.

Messages In This Thread
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- Native English Speaker -- 2009-05-17
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- MAC -- 2009-05-17
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- Turino -- 2009-05-17
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- cunning inguist -- 2009-05-17
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- Native English Speaker -- 2009-05-17
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- cunning lingist -- 2009-05-18
Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything" -- Native English Speaker -- 2009-05-19
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: "For Visa Reasons More Than Anything"

Go to another board -