TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
· Previous · Next Return to Index › Attempted Treachery
Turino - 2009-05-21

Maybe this true story will interest posters:
A few years ago I got a teaching post through an agent at a public senior middle school in a small city in Northern China.After teaching there for about six weeks,I was told by my Chinese wife that the headmaster had asked her to tell my agent that I had not gone there to teach if he called her on her mobile.My wife replied that said agent may decide to phone my home in another city instead,and that her son would tell the agent where I was.Then the headmaster suggested to my wife to instruct her son to tell the same lie that he wanted her to tell in the event of the agent phoning my home instead of her.My wife refused!Of course,the above situation represents a school trying to cheat an agent by not paying said agent his introduction fee re my introduction to the school.
And another true story:
Shortly after getting a 'retrospective' Z visa and a medical before starting a new college teaching post in a provincial capital of Northern China,both arranged by that college,an agent offered me a much higher paid position elsewhere,in fact in South China.When my wife told said agent the sitation re the aforementioned college of Northern China in more detail,she was told not to worry about me not teaching there,as I hadn't signed a contract.Said agent then told her that her children would receive a better education in South China,so it would be in her interests to insist I took the job there!My wife told him she wouldn't do so.More about said agent - his English was excellent as he was one of those Chinese who'd been abroad for a long time before returning to his homeland.He did not have a Chinese passport.Neither did he have morals!

· Previous · Next Return to Index › Attempted Treachery

Go to another board -