TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching in South Korea
Stacy - 2009-05-23

I have been teaching in Bundang, South Korea for 3 weeks now and have faced many challenges with my co-teacher and the administration of the school. I know this is a different culture and I have also noticed that the administration avoids me because of the language barrier. But I can't continue to work under these conditions.

First, my co-Teacher tells me nothing. There was no preparation for my arrival, no schedule, no documentation of where each of the classes were in their books or had done recently. She did not involve me in teaching what so ever until I insisted. She didn't tell me of teachers meetings, a social dinner and a televised announcement of me, until the last minute. She canceled my weekly writing class without discussing it with me and informing me after I had prepared materials for the class.

The administrations communication is exactly the same. They make no attempt to inform me, it just happens and thats how I find out about it. They had canceled my classes, only because the Co-T had taken the day off for an emergency. I had already planned for the classes and sat there waiting for the students to come to class, and they didn't. I went looking for them in their homerooms and that's where they were.

I was informed that there would be a substitute teacher for the following week, which is unnecessary as I had already planned for the classes.

I am an experienced teacher. 3 years behind me. I manage the classroom better without a co-teacher. What am I suppose to do next week?...twiddle my thumbs? Chat on Facebook? Is this how its going to be for the next year? Is this how it is in Korea?

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in South Korea -- Stacy -- 2009-05-23
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-05-27
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- Theo -- 2009-05-24
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-06-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Teaching in South Korea

Go to another board -