TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching in South Korea
Theo - 2009-05-24
In response to Teaching in South Korea (Stacy)

Hello, Stacy, sorry to rub salt in your wounds, but based on my recent experience in South Korea, I feel your situation will very likely not improve. I spent five very challenging (but often rewarding) years teaching in mainland China (2003-2008). I then ventured to Seoul with the very wrong assumption that working terms, ethics, etc., would be far superior in South Korea, but was I so WRONG! I lasted only six months there, because the employers were the worst I had ever encountered.

Following five very frustrating months of working (7-9 classes per day!!!) I became ill, and they refused to help me find a hospital. In the end, clearly seeing I was in pain, my students took me to a hospital where I remained for three weeks being treated (completely at my expense) but improperly diagnosed. When I finally got back to the U.S. my condition was so advanced that I now am permanently disabled.

As I said (and as you will read constantly on this forum) China is full of problems and frustrations, but employers ALWAYS assisted me with finding medical services at the moments when I became ill.

My South Korean employers refused to have any dealings/direct communication with their foreign teachers (more than 20 of us), and the two foreign managers (an Aussie and a Brit) were a couple of cunning and ruthless snakes. It was a hideous experience.

Listen to your heart and/or gut and begin making plans to get out of your situation soon.

Best wishes.

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in South Korea -- Stacy -- 2009-05-23
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-05-27
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- Theo -- 2009-05-24
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-06-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching in South Korea

Go to another board -