TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Most schools are "illegal"
Jayvin - 2009-06-02
In response to Re: Most schools are "illegal" (eflfree)

By my way of thinking, to single out Americans and characterize only them as possessing such negative qualities suggests a very limited world view. But why am I surprised that you should do so? Memphis is a long way from Tipperary. Expand your horizons a bit more, Jarvin, before attempting to enlighten others with your currently not so deep insights.

Expand this:

FYI, Knowledgeable One: I have been abroad a few times- just not as a teacher. Every American on this board knows what I am talking about, and so do you, so save your holier-than-thou attitude. Our own government started about 3 years ago to issue suggestions for behavior along with passports for business travelers. Among them:

Think as big as you like but talk and act smaller. (In many countries, any form of boasting is considered very rude. Talking about wealth, power or status - corporate or personal - can create resentment.)

Listen at least as much as you talk. (By all means, talk about America and your life in our country. But also ask people you're visiting about themselves and their way of life.)

Save the lectures for your kids. (Whatever your subject of discussion, let it be a discussion not a lecture. Justified or not, the US is seen as imposing its will on the world.)

Think a little locally. (Try to find a few topics that are important in the local popular culture. Remember, most people in the world have little or no interest in the World Series or the Super Bowl. What we call "soccer" is football everywhere else. And it's the most popular sport on the planet.)

Slow down. (We talk fast, eat fast, move fast, live fast. Many cultures do not.)

Speak lower and slower. (A loud voice is often perceived as bragging. A fast talker can be seen as aggressive and threatening.)

Your religion is your religion and not necessarily theirs. (Religion is usually considered deeply personal, not a subject for public discussions.)

If you talk politics, talk - don't argue. (Steer clear of arguments about American politics, even if someone is attacking US politicians or policies. Agree to disagree.)

As for the back-handed insult about Southern roots, heed your own advice that you gave to Breconian

I would suggest a little more maturity in the way you view the various Englishes of the world, and a little more growing up in general wouldn't hurt either.
Messages In This Thread
[Moved by Admin from the Scam Alerts board] Most schools are "illegal" -- wordperfect -- 2009-05-24
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Jayvin -- 2009-05-29
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Turino -- 2009-05-29
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Jayvin -- 2009-05-29
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Turino -- 2009-05-30
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Jayvin -- 2009-05-30
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Turino -- 2009-05-30
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Breconian -- 2009-05-30
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Watching -- 2009-06-02
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- eflfree -- 2009-06-01
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Jayvin -- 2009-05-31
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- Jayvin -- 2009-05-31
Re: Most schools are "illegal" -- eflfree -- 2009-06-01