TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching in South Korea
ANET - 2009-06-03
In response to Re: Teaching in South Korea (Theo)

To Theo:
Thank you for coming forward. I too was struck with a life threatening illness while in Korea. It was at a hagwon in Nammok, Ulsan. I too was denied access to prompt medical care and, I too now have permanent damage, in my case to two limbs, as a result of my guarantors negligence. To make a long story short, the officers of the hagwon were letting me die on their premises. After my necessary, yet much criticized outburst (I was dying for crying out loud!!!) I was finally given a hospital bed. While I was in the hospital, I was secretly fired. Its a serious workplace problem in Ulsan.
Having stated the above, I have to add that the kind people who did go out of their way to help me while I recovered were Koreans, but they were not among the powerful who rule the Ulsan workplace.
According to Korean Immigration Laws, academy owners/directors have a duty, as guarantor, to help their foreign teachers who get sick and this includes getting us to the hospital promptly if required. However, some hagwon presidents have powerful friends who raise them above the law.
Where, in Korea, was your negligent School located (what city)?
ANET

Messages In This Thread
Teaching in South Korea -- Stacy -- 2009-05-23
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-05-27
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- Theo -- 2009-05-24
Re: Teaching in South Korea -- ANET -- 2009-06-03
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Teaching in South Korea

Go to another board -