TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China
HireEd - 2009-06-25

Brandon have you seen you actual contract, or at least template contract?

On ths surface, this all looks reasonable (for China). However, these are things to consider... Do you ahve experience teaching kindergarten-age children? Because I had been a university instructor prior to China, I did not wish to teach children (in China, or the U.S.). Chinese students and parents expect foreign teachers to always be entertaining, offering game activties, etc. I would imagine this position will require high energy, because in the beginning, the children will mostly just stare at you as if you are a zoo animal.

Is "last year's teacher" still at the school? If so, that person might have been pressured into giving the job/school high praise (I know from experience). In fact, if they were resigning prior to the end of the contract, it is often considered THEIR duty to find a replacement teacher. Do you feel fairly certain that last year's teacher spoke to you from their home country, or at least some sort of neutral place?

It is standard for school to offer return flight home, but as you will read on this and most other ESL forums, many school don't provide the ticket at the end. It's a consistent complaint about many employers in China. Once your duties are fullfilled, many employers view the person as no longer useful/profiitable to them, and as a result they do not come forth with end-of-contract pledges.

It also says: "Provided at no cost: hot water, aircon, utilities, etc." but many schools will put a low limit on the amount of utility allowance they will provide. Oftentimes the foreign teacher must pay whatever exceeds the monthly limit -- which will be the larger percentage (I think). Also, they are not likely to ever show the bills to you, so verification of such deductions from your salary will be difficult/impossible to verify/justify.

"3 meals/day at cafeteria," is also a shot in the dark. I worked at many schools, and I am in no way a "picky eater," however the range of quality is wild. Many students, staff, etc., think the school food is close to intolerable, and so you might get stuck at a school where the quality of the cafeteria food is quite challenging to say the least.

If you are new to China, there will be many foods you wil not recognize and/or not prepared or equipped to eat. For example, one of the first things I was given for lunch at school was "belt fish" a very long fish that is cut into 1-2 inch pieces and fried. It is FULL of bones, and if you eat it incorrectly, it's like eating a razor blade. Once I learned how to eat it, I came to love it, but no one will likely warn you what difficulties you might encounter with food.

Most schools will say things like "no paid sick days" because they don't want to encourage foreign teachers to ever be sick. They are making lots of money off of you, and if you are out (and it is likely you will be sick during the first week or so) they might have to cancel class -- resulting in angry and complaining parents, crying children, etc. There's lots of pressure not to be sick - or if you are, to get well ASAP.

Finally, as for "20 actual teaching hours" but "on campus 8 hours a day" means that they will likely ask you to do all sorts of other things when not in the classroom. The possibilities are endless; perhaps doing promotion for the school, writing/developing teaching materials/lessons/games that they will consider THEIR property for future use (perhaps sales). Doing activities, such as accompanying students and Chinese staff on verious adventures.

I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, but I lived and worked in China for 5 years and it never ceased to amaze what could happen or what things were expected of me. I worked for public and private schools (as I siad always teaching students ranging in age from 18-55), but no matter how many questions I asked, there were always unexpected traps and frustrations.

I hope other experienced FTs will offer you some advice and comments regarding the terms of the position. Perhaps some will agree, others will disagree with me.

Good luck and keep asking questions!!! Don't settle for typical responses like" Don't worry about that," or "No problem."

Messages In This Thread
Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- Brandon -- 2009-06-25
More info and picture -- tl -- 2009-06-26
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- Brandon -- 2009-06-26
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- Brandon -- 2009-06-26
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- Turino -- 2009-06-26
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- HireEd -- 2009-06-26
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- Turino -- 2009-06-25
Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China -- HireEd -- 2009-06-25
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Advice needed: considering contract Foshan, China

Go to another board -