TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Background Check for Korean Visa
Theo - 2009-07-02
In response to Background Check for Korean Visa (Sam)

Sam, I can't say for certain, but I think the history of misdemeanors you mention in your post will likely prevent you from obtaining a visa for Korea. But that's just one of several hoops you have to successfully jump through.

You also must have a "visa interview," conducted in person at one of five Korean consulates in the U.S. (are you American?). While I obtained the visa, the "visa interview" was an infuriating and expensive waste of time for me.

Korea also requires that you send your ORIGINAL diplomas as part of the visa approval process. No copies of any kind are accepted. The criminal background check must be notarized. The visa requirements go on and on, and tnen if your experience is anything like mine, it will yield a huge disappointment after you arrive. For example, my employer promised to reimburese me for my flight to and from the visa interview, but refused to do so after I arrived in Korea. The situation just kept going downhill from there.

Unlike China, where I lived and taught English for several years, in Korea, when you rent an apartment, you are expected to furnish it completely -- as in purchasing your own refrigerator, AC, stove, washing machine, etc. All that is rented to you is an empty room --and if you land in a major city, an expensive empty toom. This becomes a very expensive investment, especially if plan on teaching/living there for one year.

China was full of amazing things, and constant frustration with employers (not students), but Korea was just an all-around awful experience. I returned home from Korea permenantly disabled due to my employers and inept health care.

One last word about your visa, should you get one... the visa is tied directly to your employer, and so if you get over there, and things are not as promised (and they certianly were not for me), you can't just resigna nd work for another school (as I was able to do in China). You must be "released" from your visa (which never happens) in od=rder to legally obtain employment elsewhere. Becaise you are basically enslaved by your employer, the situation is fruaght with abuse and exploitation.

Good luck, but think carefully about venturing to South Korea. It was a huge mistake for me -- and I had a squeaky-clean criminal record.

I also urge you to search for and read posts by "ANET" regarding his hideous experience in Korea before you make a decision. I know from my own experience there that what he details is true, and stilll possible for others.

Messages In This Thread
Background Check for Korean Visa -- Sam -- 2009-07-01
Re: Background Check for Korean Visa -- Theo -- 2009-07-02
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Background Check for Korean Visa

Go to another board -