TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: Racism in China
ruserious - 2009-07-05
In response to Re: Racism in China (eng.teacher)

"1. Where is the legislation preventing racial discrimination in China?

2. Have you never asked how the Chinese people view Japanese people?

3. Heard of cloud cuckoo land?

I repeat, DISGUSTING !

From the very young to the very old RACISM is rampant here.

End of story. "
eng. teacher

This is from an English teacher? Obviously, question number one, though rhetorical, is rather nonsensical; that is, if there were such legislation we can assume that it wouldn't be hidden. Nevertheless, let's suppose there is racism in China. How would that racism be addressed? Moreover, shouldn't we be approaching it as a comparative question; that is, are there any countries where the population is totally free of racism. Of course not. Does racism exist in China to the degree that it exists in many other countries. I would say no. I think, too, that in this context we need to compliment China for its Minority Protection Act - as I think it's called.

Number two above is the real kicker. This, let's remember, is written by a self-proclaimed English teacher. Obviously, the question should have been written in this manner: Have you ever asked Chinese people how they view Japanese people? If the question is framed in the manner as written by eng. teacher, it suggests that he is merely asking if anyone (could be anybody from anywhere) has been asked about how the Chinese feel about the Japanese people. Aside from that poor demonstration of writing skills, though, and, as a partial answer, yes, there is residual hatred for the Japanese. Is this rampant? No. Is this racism? Lets not forget that Nationalism is often bred through identifying a common enemy. Does that carry the same implication as racism. Personally, I think not; however, others may disagree with me and I can live with that. As for the question itself, in the way it was meant to be written, yes, I have discussed the issue of hatred for the Japanese with many students. True enough, some students, without stopping to think about it, admit to hating the Japanese. However, when questioned further, they realize that they should focus their hate on those who committed the atrocities rather than the Japanese citizens and especially those who weren't even born more than 60 years ago.

"Heard of cloud cuckoo land?" Very mature. Not totally unexpected, though, from what is obviously not a cultivated mind.

"From the very young to the very old RACISM is rampant here." It is incomprehensible to me how anyone could hold this view about everyone in such a vast land populated by 56 minorities and so many diverse cultures and beliefs. Are the Han people somewhat snobbish? Yeah, some are. Are Shanghai people quite snobbish? Yes, or so I'm told anyway. Do Beijing people think they're the cats meow? Yep. Racism in its pure form? I don't think so.

Apparently, the poster has some serious growing up to do. English teacher? No possible way.

Messages In This Thread
Racism in China -- from the Shanghai Star -- 2009-06-30
Re: Racism in China -- Laowai With An Attitude -- 2009-07-01
Re: Racism in China -- Turino -- 2009-07-02
Re: Racism in China -- Laowai With An Attitude -- 2009-07-02
Re: Racism in China -- eng.teacher -- 2009-06-30
Re: Racism in China -- WOLF TOTEM -- 2009-07-01
Re: Racism in China -- buzzoff -- 2009-07-12
Re: Racism in China -- eng.teacher -- 2009-07-04
Re: Racism in China -- Dragon -- 2009-07-06
Re: Racism in China -- Turino -- 2009-07-07
Re: Racism in China -- eng.teacher -- 2009-07-06