TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How do I improve English Corner
HireEd - 2009-07-06
In response to Re: How do I improve English Corner (HireEd)

Sorry, a few more thoughts and suggestions...

You say: "The Chinese English teachers have never attended our English Corner, which I understand is very common throughout China.
- The Chinese English Teachers mainly speak chinese to the students in class which is infuriating.

- Western movies are shown with Chinese language sub-titles which means the brain reads the words but does not listen to the English.
The Chinese English Teachers seem to view their jobs as strictly "Going by the Clock," and seem to have no interest in doing anything, but finishing the text book,(which is primarily written in Chinese), and completing the exam."

- - - - -

OK, this is my take on the things above that you mentioned in your original post:

In my experience, Chinese English teachers avoid interaction with foreign teachers because they are afraid to reveal their true English-speaking skill. They often feel it is not "good enough" to engage with a native speaker. When I first arrived in China, I couldn't understand why my Chinese counterparts were so "stand-offish" (when my students were so friendly and hospitable) until someone it explained it to me. Their primary skill is explaining English grammar, which IMHO, they do better than we do -- and besides, students HATE grammar lessons and so leave that boring stuff to the Chinese instructors.

I would tell my Chinese students that grammar is important, but more so in writing than speaking. I tell them grammar is like a box and you want to be free of the box. I ask them; "Do you think about grammar when you speak Chinese?" They always say 'No!" So then I say: "Well, the same is true for me. If think about English grammar, then I can't speak English." I tell them to speak out, don't worry about the grammar, and if they make a mistake I will help them. It's all part of improving speaking ability, for anyone. I reassure them that most native speakers don't employ such fine grammar themelves, especially when speaking.

As for Chinese teachers "going by the clock" and teaching directly from the book, keep in mind that's how they were taught, and therefore have no models for a different way of teaching except by drilling and repetition (ugh, shoot me now!). This is why most Chinese students get excited about having a foreign teacher. They don't know what they'll get, but they're pretty sure it will be quite different from their Chinese teachers' mind-numbing methods. I truly believe FTs are hired as much for our style of teaching and learning, as for the subject of English itself.

So much of what I was teaching did not necessarily have to with teaching ENGLISH, but merely using English as a vehicle to discuss life topics, challenges and issues. They have so many amzing questions that we could never anticipate, as I'm sure you know all too well!

As for the movie dilemma, this is what I did with "Movie Show"... I would show the film with English subtitles only. No Chinese subtitles. Of course, that will make it far more challenging for some, but it WILL make them stronger. The mistake I feel many FTs make, is by being too passive during the showing of a film. While the movie is showing, I would write words/phrases/idioms (films are LOADED with idioms) being spoken on the board and stop the film every 10-15 minutes to discuss the words and situations to make sure the students understood what was going on.

Many times the students understand the words, but don't understand WHY the characters are saying and doing what they do. The cutlures are SO different, and therefore what seems like a normal response to us, is often perplexing to them. (I had similar feelings about Chinese films, until I lived in China for a while.)

I would also select films that the students had likely NOT seen on their own; ones that showed REAL life situations in my home country that they otherwise might not have known. The film "Witness" for example, was a favorite with my students because they had no previous knowledge of Amish people or culture, and that the story was "present day." Also, I was able to draw parallels between the Amish and traditional Chinese values and practices. The film also had enough action and suspense (and sex) to keep them intrigued.

They will watch Star Wars, Harry Potter and other Hollywood blockbusters on their own, without any help from us. Also these films are fantastic in nature and offer less illumination about real life, cultures, and challenges.

I'm sorry to have gone on and on here, but I guess your question just triggered an avanlanche of response from me. I hope some of will be useful to you in the future.

Again, good luck, and enjoy!

Messages In This Thread
How do I improve English Corner -- steve -- 2009-07-06
Re: How do I improve English Corner -- HireEd -- 2009-07-06
Re: How do I improve English Corner -- tip -- 2009-07-06
View Thread · Previous · Next Return to Index › Re: How do I improve English Corner

Go to another board -